Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ibn al-'Awwam and Sicilian onions  (Read 20005 times)
ChristianeT

View Profile Email
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »

I understand that Michele Amari, in Storia dei Musulmani, mentions al-'Awwam's Kitab al Falaha, in reference to a particular method of onion growing around Palermo. Does Peter Lord's 1979 partial translation of the Kitab mention this particular information? I'm just trying to see if there's a more available translation of this particular piece of information than Amari's 19th century, many-volume opus. I am not sure if the available Spanish or French translations have this information at all.  Thank you in advance for any insights you can offer.
Sijilmassa
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:31:56 PM »

From a quick perusal, no mention of Sicilian onions in Philip Lord's translation of selected passages.
Sijilmassa
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:35:40 AM »

Unfortunately I don't have the Arabic text at hand but Ibn al-'Awwam does indeed describe in some detail a method of planting onion seedlings on ridges. He adds that, according to Ibn Bassal, this method is used by the Sicilians to good effect (Ibn al'Awwam, French translation by Clement-Mullet revised and corrected by Mohammed El Faiz, 2000, p. 657). The complete Arabic text of Ibn Bassal can be found on this site (under Texts & Translations) so you should be able to locate the reference.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: